Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25, 2013 ~ Arrived To Brazil ~ Week 9


Hello Brother & Sister Hanson

Elder Hanson arrived safely on the mission and is doing very well.  We are very excited to have him here and have him working with us in this great work.  I received him here in the mission office along with the other secretaries and Assistants on March 20 and have noticed that he is speaking Portuguese very well and is learning the missionary lessons wonderfully.  He is currently in the area of Jardim Curitiba with his excellent trainer, Elder V. Santos. We know they will do a great work together.
Everything is OK with him, he arrived safely and is very excited to serve as a missionary.  Any other questions, feel free to contact me.
Thanks!

Sincerely,

Elder Eastwood
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Family,

That's awesome that Felix and Brice are going on a mission! When do they leave? Congrats to Jacob and Calvin on getting their calls! They seem so young haha.

Well!  This week has been super stressful to say the least haha.  The rules are super super strict here in this mission.  We're not allowed to even open emails from other missionaries or friends :(  But whatever.  Dumbest rule ever but I'll get over it.  They did say today that they might change that rule because the First Presidency is making a new missionary manual saying that it's okay to email friends and stuff like that.  But it all depends on my mission President.  I hope that he changes his mind, otherwise there will be no way to communicate with Cooper or any other Missionary.

Anyways, this week has been super stressful.  I thought I knew Portuguese but I guess I don't haha. The people here are super rude about me not knowing Portuguese very well.  I guess it's just in the Brazilian nature to be super blunt haha. They'll tell me that my Portuguese is awful and with a total straight face.

My companion is Elder V. Santos and he is from Fortaleza, Brazil. Yeah, can't understand like anything he says haha.  Also, he doesn't speak English AT ALL! It honestly is the most frustrating thing in the entire world and it's been super hard.  I can't understand the natives either.  There's only been one or two lessons where I've been able to understand them because they actually say their words.  The other people skip words or pronounce words super differently. I'll say something and I know that it's what I learned in the MTC and they don't understand me!  I am grateful that my other roommates speak English.  Elder Moreno is from California and he hasn't been out for very long, but his Portuguese is super good. He's helped me out a lot and has sort of comforted me with everything lol. Elder Lopes is from Sao Paulo, he speaks a little English so we can communicate. But again, he's super blunt as well and has told me my Portuguese sucks lol. It really doesn't affect me though haha. I hope everything gets easier! This week is the first week that I've been super homesick. Honestly it has been the hardest week of my life. I know everything will get better but I have to complain a little bit because I can't complain to anybody here or I'm breaking another rule :/

IT IS SO HOT HERE! It's not as humid as I thought it would be but it's super hot for most of the day. It rains everyday at least once. The rain doesn't feel good either because it's hot rain haha. I miss the cold :-(

I don't know my address because it's some weird Brazilian address and nobody has sent me anything from the mission office. I can't ask my companion because he doesn't know it either and the other two elders are gone right now. But I know I am in Tremadao, Jardim Curitiba which is on the outskirts of Goiania - Goias, Brazil. I'm pretty sure it's the poorest area of Goiania. But for some reason, the water is fine to drink. Not sure why but even Elder Moreno told me he has always been drinking the water and he's been totally fine. Don't worry though, I've been using my water bottle filter just is case. I've only had diarrhea once, but it wasn't from the water.
Botanical Gardens, Jardim Curitiba, Goias

I think the lessons are going well, not quite sure. I HATE THAT I CAN"T UNDERSTAND ANYBODY! I know that it's so frustrating for the other Elders as well. Please tell people to send me letters, it helps keep me sane and tell them to send them to the Mission Home for now.  I miss you guys so much!!!

Anyways!  Love you guys so much and please don't worry about me right now! I'll be fine, I just needed to vent a little bit.  I will try to put up pictures next week.  I also won't be able to send a letter today.  We had to go to the mission office and that took forever so I didn't have any time. I don't know the address anyway haha!  Please try to send a lot of emails too now that I can't even open other peoples emails.  It gives me comfort :) Love you guys! Eu amo voces muito muito muito!!!!!! Miss you more than I can bear!!!!!!

Elder Colin Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment